regulations & submission
Who can apply?
– Brazilians and foreigners, residents and non-residents.
– Scientists, artists, students, teachers and professionals from different areas regardless of age and career level.
rural.scapes – Lab in Residency is headquartered at the main house of an old coffee farm in São José Barreiro, at the foothills of Serra da Bocaina National Park, located on the triple border between São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais, three economically important poles of southeastern Brazil. The farm took part in the coffee and milk economic cycles and is currently dedicated to agriculture and cattle raising.
Location: the farm belongs to the city of São José do Barreiro, 12km from the city center. The second closest city is Areias, approximately 12km away. The nearest urban centers offering full commerce and services available are Cruzeiro (51km), Taubaté (130km), Rio de Janeiro (228km) and São Paulo (260km).
How to apply?
– Submissions are online, through the form available in this website;
– Up to 10 Mb attachments will be accepted. Video and audio should be hosted on platforms such as Vimeo or Youtube (if necessary, inform the password along with the link mention);
Accomodation: selected individuals will stay at the main house of Fazenda Santa Teresa, an ancient coffee farm in the city of São José do Barreiro, located at Estrada dos Tropeiros (former Estrada Real and Caminho do Ouro), Paraiba Valley, São Paulo State, Brazil. Selected artists will have individual bedrooms, living room, kitchen with wood-burning stove, laundry room and two bathrooms for collective use.
Studios: the work space is located at the main house’s basement, an ancient worker’s remodelled house at the margins of the Santana River and an ancient chapel. These spaces will serve as studios and as exhibition venues for the works produced during the residency.
Residency period: six artists will be hosted at a time, in the months of May and June. Please inform your preferred period for the immersion and your flexibility to move if necessary.
Categories: 8 proposals will be selected for the development of artwork and/or interventions and 4 for workshops. The proposals for participative experiences will take part in spaces of non-formal education, although rural.scapes also holds agreements with the local Secretary of Education for the use of local schools. The applicant must suggest the type of space required and describe the workshop dynamics, as collaborative projects providing collective experiences, as well as work plan with the local community through participative experiences such as workshops, seminars, interactive performances, etc. Please choose the category of your proposal.
Support: the selected proposals will get support in logistics, local accommodation and meals (full board) during the 15 days of the residency, transportation from São Paulo to the farm, local transportation, articulations and a funding of R$2.000,00 (Brazilian currency).
Travel: rural.scapes is responsible for transportation between the city of São Paulo and the farm and for local transportation during the residency period. Artists must provide their own transportation between the selected applicant’s place of residence to the city of São Paulo when necessary. The time and place of the departure will be announced in advance. The selected artist remains responsible for the transportation to the farm in case of not being available to travel in the announced date, never exceeding 48 hours from the official starting date of residency, otherwise the participation in the residency may be cancelled by the organizers. Local/regional transport in the area of the residency is also rural.scapes’ responsibility.
Applicants: the open call is destined to individuals or duo collaborations. In the second case, the funding (R$2.000,00) is the same as for individuals and should be shared between the two artists.
Accomplishment: The applicants are required to develop and finish the production of the selected proposal during the period of residency. The selected proposal can suffer changes, as long as they relate to the original proposal chosen by the jury.
Resources: rural.scapes offers studios, a stream, vegetable plantation, animals, forest, woodwork tools, farming tools (shovel, hoe, wheelbarrow, etc.), projector (Benq Mw519, 2800 lumens, 13.000:1 contrast), 3 projection screens (4.6 x 3.3 meters), active sound system, basic electronic workshop (welder, pliers, components, arduino, etc.), printer, sewing machine and basic rural internet connection. rural.scapes remains open to the possibility of discussing extra equipment or materials when necessary and financially possible. This need must be indicated in the application form. Purchased extra materials will remain at the farm as rural.scapes lab’s patrimony in order to be used in future residencies.
Open Labs: lectures and debates will take part during the development of the projects, in the presence of an art critic or other professional of the area.
Open Talks: will be scheduled at rural.scapes’ main house, at Projeto Guri and at Clubão (local multi-use spaces), in São José do Barreiro, intended to promote further exchange between the artists in residency and the local community.
Meals: will be produced and/or provided by the farm, with local ingredients and inspired by the local “Tropeira” cuisine (light), for we consider culinary as an important element that contributes to the immersion in the local culture. The farm grows organic vegetables, tubers and fruits, according to the time of the year and season. The farm also raises goats and chicken and produces eggs, milk, butter and fresh cheese. Meals will also include local products such as pork, corn meal, pine seed, as well as rice and beans. Corn bread roasted in banana leafs, cakes, jellies, corn puddings are also present in the local cuisine. The water comes from a local well. Any special need beyond the typical regional products of this rural environment mentioned above must be provided by the applicant. The farm’s cook will prepare three meals each day. The heating of the meal at the wood-burning stove will be organized by the group collectively.
Personal items: medication and personal items are to be provided by the applicants. Since it’s a rural residency, it is highly recommended that artists bring all personal needs for the whole residency period.
Copyright: the selected artists authorize the program to use their image and sound for promotion and documentation purposes in electronic or press media. This material can be used either by rural.scapes or its partners as well as the São Paulo State Secretary of Culture/PROAC Editais, the financing institution of the second edition of this residency, as well as by other supporters of the project.
Common Space: selected artists are responsible for their own acts, compromising not to put in risk the well being of others and themselves as well as the environment. They are also responsible for the rooms cleaning and the preservation and maintenance of common spaces.
Insurance: The program doesn’t cover any type of insurance, being the residents responsible for their own health and equipment.
– 12 proposals will be selected, focusing on the premises of this open call, quality and viability of its execution in the context and period of the residency.
– Five professionals, 3 Brazilians and 2 from abroad will gather at Fazenda Santa Teresa to evaluate and select the proposals.
– Applicants may be contacted by the jury to discuss further details of the proposal, aiming alternative solutions, when challenges are found regarding the project’s viability within the existing conditions at rural.scapes.
– Pre-selected artists will be interviewed via Skype in the beginning of April. After the interviews, the final list of selected projects will be defined.
– The jury will consider proposals that are coherent with the concept of the program’s second edition: rural.scapes – Lab in Residency 3G@ 2015 / Rural InterMedia
– Innovative proposals, involving low-cost DIY technologies, electronics, audiovisuals, electromechanics, artificial life, etc.
– Technical viability: Proposals will be analyzed and selected also according to their viability in the local context. Each proposal’s needs must be described in the application form, in the field “Equipment and Tools”.
– Proposals that use resources of Estrada dos Tropeiros’ surroundings between Silveiras and Bananal and/or the local infrastructure and other resources of the farm such as water, the virgin forest, organic plantation, etc – all to be considered elements of the Lab.
– The applicant’s proposal will be the key element of evaluation. Name, portfolio and career level of the applicants will be considered as complementary information.
Among the resulting works of the residency, a curated selection will be presented at the end of each residency period at the main house of Fazenda Santa Teresa in São José do Barreiro, as well as in the city of São Paulo, place and date to be confirmed.
Submitting a project characterizes the acceptance of the terms of this call.