regulations & submission
February 1 ~ April 2, 2014.
Online selection results
April 8, 2014.
May 8 ~ May 23, 2014.
May 25 ~ June 10, 2014
Who can participate?
– Brazilians and foreigners, residents and nonresidents;
– Young artists, art students, artists interested in electronic production, art teachers in schools and universities, cultural producers and local communities around Tropeiros Road.
rural.scapes lab in residence is headquartered at the main house of an old coffee farm in São José Barreiro, at the foothills of Serra da Bocaina National Park, located on the triple border between São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais, three economically important poles of southeastern Brazil.
– Submissions are online, through the form available in this website;
– Up to 20 Mb attachments will be accepted. Video and audio should be hosted on platforms such as Vimeo or Youtube (if necessary, inform the password along with the link mention) ;
The Lab in Residence proposal works on decentralization of artistic production from large urban centers to rural areas. This shift makes us think about what is the rural environment in the century, in the information era.
How do interdependencies undermined between urban and rural worlds happen? How are these two contexts connected and/or dissociated into their everyday experiences? Displacement, as well as exchange, has a transformative action on paradigm, view, practice and production in both contexts?
The selected projects must relate with the local context. We consider connections with local context as to be projects that work on Tropeiros Road’s local surrounding elements, between the cities of Silveiras and Bananal, including Queluz, Areias, São José do Barreiro and Arapeí.
– Applicants are allowed to apply at maximum 2 projects.
– 8 projects will be selected by open pitching and 4 by direct selection;
– Jury acknowledgement will be taken together with the list of selected projects;
– The jury is formed by five professionals of the field, 2 foreigners and 3 Brazilians.
What projects can be submitted?
– Projects related to the environment, local means of production as well as expression, memory, intangible heritage, traditions, etc. from the Silveiras-Bananal axis, located at Tropeiros Road;
– Innovative projects involving low-cost technologies;
– Works that use resources from Tropeiros Road area, between the towns of Silveiras and Bananal, and/or from the main house or the farm, such as water, virgin forest, organic gardens, etc., all considered as laboratory elements;
– Collaborative and collective experience projects.
Two projects will be specifically chosen for their direct work with the community through participatory experiences such as workshops, etc. Projects related to participatory experiments can be performed in spaces of no formal education, although rural.scapes has an agreement with the Secretary of Education of São José do Barreiro which also enables the use of schools. The applicant is in charge of suggesting spaces and describing the work dynamics, if this applies.
It is not mandatory for all artists to perform workshops, but two proposals will be chosen for their relationship with the community. rural.scapes – lab in residence has the support of MIS – São Paulo’s Museum of Image and Sound for workshops related to film and expanded cinema, through Ponto MIS at São José do Barreiro.
– Exceptionally, if the jury finds that one or more selected projects may have problems of local viability, the applicant(s) will be contacted and, in such cases, the jury may suggest viable solutions within existing conditions in rural.scapes. Such projects will only be accepted if there is an definite agreement between the parties.
The works resulting from laboratories in residence will be presented at the end of it at Paço das Artes in São Paulo, as well as at the place of residence and/or São José do Barreiro’s Casa de Cultura. Equipment for the exhibition at the Paço will be provided according to the possibilities of that institution. The space of the basement will be used. Works that are not transportable will be displayed through documentation, which should be provided by the artist.
General terms and conditions
– Six resident artists will be welcomed at a time in the months of May and June, from May 8th to 23rd and May 25th to June 10th. Please inform the desired period at the registration form.
– Selected projects will receive logistic support, local hosting with food (full board) during the two weeks of residence, local transportation, articulations and a R$ 2000 funding, considered as payment to the artist or for the production. How the money will be used depends on the applicant.
– Selected participants will be staying at the main house of Fazenda Santa Teresa, an old coffee farm in São José do Barreiro, at Tropeiros Road, former Real Road and Gold Trail, Paraíba Valley, São Paulo, Brazil;
– Transportation between the selected applicant’s place of residence to the capital São Paulo is his responsibility. rural.scapes is responsible for transportation between the city of São Paulo and the farm and for local transportation during the two-week residency;
– rural.scapes is a space that promotes interaction and exchanges between residents and between residents and local community;
– Open Labs will be conducted in order to carry out the projects. In these laboratories, monitoring and discussion of projects in process will be made by a critic or other related professional;
– Labs will have the support of the production team and the project producers;
– Open Conversations will be scheduled at the local Culture Houses, as well as rural.scapes headquarters, in order to promote greater exchange between locals and residents. Participation in the Open Conversations is mandatory for all selected artists.
– The call is intended for projects submitted by individuals or groups of two;
– For projects in pairs, funding is the same as applied to individual projects, ie, R$ 2.000;
– Technical viability of the submitted projects: they will be also examined and selected for its possibility of viability in a short-term period (15 days). The needs of each project should be described at the Registration Form in the “Tools and Equipment” field;
– Selected artists will cede copyright for purposes of disclosure and documentation, publication images (in electronic and/or printed media) and audio and/or video recordings. This material may be used by rural.scapes, by our partners for dissemination and by FUNARTE/MINC, agencies that fund this residence.
– At the residence no type of insurance will be contemplated; thus residents are responsible for their own equipment and health;
– The artist undertakes not to endanger the welfare of others, and is committed to preserving the environment;
– Medicines and personal items are of applicant’s responsibility. Being a rural residence, it is recommended that residents bring what they need in terms of personal needs.